Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My personal walking tour

Today I had cappuccino and two small pastries up the street from where I am staying. I planned my day and decided since I was scheduled for the Vatican tomorrow I would spend the day walking around. Here are a few pics while I was on my way to the cafĂ© this morning.





I took the bus to Teatro Di Marcelo and began my wondering from there.






 

 


I followed my feet through cobblestone streets, past quaint little shops. I went into Arte, very cool shop with a pop art novelty store feeling.



Here we have the tomb of the unknown soldier...imagine what it would look like had they known him...just saying.















Then I continued to wonder and walked myself right to the pantheon....I studied slides and slides and slides in school and never in a million years could I have anticipated the awesomeness in person. No need for a guided tour, although I may not remember everything from school...I did remember to look up at the oculus.
 
 
Piazza Della Minerva - One of 13 Egyptian Obelisks in Rome sits upon an elephant sculpted by Bernini.

The Pantheon is almost perfectly preserved. The porch consists of 16 monolithic Egyptian granite columns. 74 metric tons each. I stood at the foot of one in awe, thinking how in the hell did they do this?
 
 
The dome, poured in concrete in the 120s A.D has never structurally been modified. The top is pierced by a 9m wide oculus. While most ancient buildings lost their marbles to the popes, the pantheon still retains its yellow marble and purple porphyry.










I then came upon the Piazza di Montecitorio, here we have a 2,600 year old obelisk was moved here in 1971. Not sure what the hieroglyphics say but they are there....



I continued to stroll through the snakelike streets and found myself in the Piazza Novonna. Full of artists selling their work, street performers and an amazing band. Here is where the ancient Agones (athletic competitions) in the stadium of Domitian. During the Medieval period, the Romans called this space platea in agona (place of competition), which later evolved into the Piazza Navona.



 








 
After Piazza Navona...it was time for lunch!
 
Now...off to the Jewish Ghetto...
 
 

 








 
 Not sure what "Milky Kosher" is but the food looked awesome!
 
 





 
Portico d'Ottavia, the remains of a propylaeum (gate to a temple precinct), built by Augustus and named for his sister, in 23 B.C. Today, the portico is the monumental entry to the modest medieval church of Sant'Angelo in Prescheria, where Jews were forced to attend catholic mass during the Ghetto period. The pavement outside was the site of Rome's fish market (prescheria), hence the name.
 
 


















 
This concludes Day II of my adventure in Rome....here are some random shot I took while roaming the streets.
 
Beautiful church I wondered into...



 

 
 














 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment