Friday, April 12, 2013

Day IV - Double Decker Bus Tour

Today I decided to rest my feet a bit and get a ticket for a tour bus. So I hopped onto a double decker bus that allows you to get on and off all day whenever you want. Here are some pics from the ride you will see some repeats but as far as I am concerned...it never gets old.





















































































The west coast has Rodeo Drive, New York has 5th Avenue and Rome has



























 
and at the end of this designer yumminess...The Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps), Which were actually designed and funded by the French. At the base of the 18th century stairs is the sunken Barcaccia ("bad boat") fountain by Pietro Bernini and fed by the ancient aqua Virgo. It's said to have the sweetest water in Rome. I didn't try it, but I sure wanted to. At  the top of the stairs is the Trinita dei Monti Church.




Sweetest water in Rome people..here it is.




 
After I sat on the steps with thousands of people from all over the world I started my journey to the Trevi Fountain. I grabbed an eggplant Panini and sat watching the fountain as I after. Oh and I didn't forget to throw change in the fountain and make some wishes ;-)












 
Piazza Del Popolo, in the tradition of the grandest Roman Piazzas, the vertex of the Tridente is vast, sun-drenched, and obelisked. It was given its present oval shape by neoclassical architect Guiseppe Valadier in 1818. It was made traffic free in 1998.  To the east of the Piazza is the Pincio Gardens, said to be one of the most romantic spots in Rome.
 
 















 
 
 Piazza Colonna at the center of the Rione of Colonna in the historic heart of Rome. It is named for the marble Column of Marcus Aurelius which has stood there since 193 CE. The bronze statue of Saint Paul that crowns the column was placed in 1589, by order of Pope Sixtus V. The Roman Via Lata (now the Via de Corso) runs through the piazza's eastern end, from south to north.
 
 









 
 
Now,with the must sees out of the way I followed my routine of wondering the streets of Rome...

 
Pistachio   Liqueur..Mmm Mmm Mmm.
 

????...You'll get so drunk your mom will have to carry you home???


Rainbow Farfalle...for the princess in you. *wink*


      
I had to...lol.








 
 
Subdued: lacking in vitality, intensity, or strength <subdued colors>
Ummm..if you say so :-/

Pistachio and Chocolate Gelato...OMG!

 
 
WTF! Really????
 
 
 










 




















 





Funny story...while I was wondering around I found myself in the Jewish Ghetto again. I was trying to get back to the piazza Navona. So I look at my map and proceed in what I think is the right direction only to turn the corner and end up back in the same place. Happened three times...I think my grandmother was messing with me...Shabbat Shalom.



 

Elephant and Obelisk is a sculpture designed by the Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The elephant was probably executed by his assistant Ercole Ferrata; the Egyptian obelisk was uncovered during nearby excavations. It was unveiled in February 1667, just outside the Roman church of Santa Maria sopra Minvera, where it still stands now. Known as "Bernini's Chick", it portrays an image originating in the Hypnerotomachia Polyphili of 1499. The sculpture was commissioned by Pope Alexander VII, Fabio Chigi. It turned out to be the last commission he would ask of Bernini, as he died in May 1665.




 
...and here they are again...the floating meditaters!
 

 
 ...and ended the evening with the best Sangria I have ever tasted, Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment